Sunday, August 8, 2010

Secret vault of words rejected by the Oxford English Dictionary uncovered

I don't know why some of these were rejected...

Earworm – a catchy tune that frequently gets stuck in your head
("Ca-li-fornia girls, we're undeniable, daisy dukes, bikinis on top"...yeah, you're welcome).

Espacular – something especially spectacular.
Hmm, I can see that being used for sarcastic purposes. Like, when I say something is awesome; for example, "My daughter woke me up 4 times last night. Awesome." (Sarah got me hooked on that word. Thank you, Ms. Janney)

Furgle – to feel in a pocket or bag for a small object such as a coin or key
Yep, been there, done that. Although I have to wonder when the object rolls over from the "small" category to the "regular" category? I have 4 keys and 2 keychains, so is that still considered small?

Headset jockey – a telephone call center worker
I like that MUCH better than customer service rep!!!

Optotoxical – a look that could kill, normally from a parent or spouse
Oh yeah, my kids have gotten those looks before. Husband, too.

Polkadodge – the dance that occurs when two people attempt to pass each other but move in the same direction
This is the perfect description for what Lesley and I do every time we work together. It is inevitable that, at some point in the evening, we'll almost run into each other, and polkadodge in order to avoid a head-on collision.

Spatulate – removing cake mixture from the side of a bowl with a spatula
I don't have much of an opportunity to do this. Usually, my kids just ask to lick the bowl.

Sprummer – when summer and spring time can't decide which is to come first, usually hot one day then cold the next.
Welcome to Virginia, home of sprummer.

Whinese – a term for the language spoken by children on lengthy trips
Do the trips have to be lengthy? Because my kids speak whinese on a daily basis, regardless of the length of the trip we're taking.

Giving credit to http://www.telegraph.co.uk for the use of words in their article

No comments: